Monday, August 13, 2007

Luke's Grand Entry



LUKE JACKSON BENNETT
AUGUST 11th, 2007
6:52 AM
8 lb 4 ounces
22 3/4 inches long
14 1/4 inch head

Just when I thought I was going past my due date, I was awakened at 2:45 AM Saturday morning in full fledged labor. In my mind, I was going to "labor" at home for a few hours and head to the hospital when my contractions got to be about 5 minutes apart. Well, they started at 5 minutes apart and by the time we left for the hospital at 3:30, they were 2 minutes apart.

I WAS going to do the "natural childbirth" thing for my last baby, but with contractions one after another, I just couldn't ever get comfortable. It was worse than my pitocin induction with Olivia. On top of the contractions being back to back, I was throwing up and then Luke passed meconium when my water broke and his heart rate on the monitor wasn't looking very good. I had to have an oxygen mask on my face. It was just one thing after another. I was a wreck. I labored like that for about 2 1/2 hours.

And then I got my epidural and things were great. I could relax and talk to Mark, my Mom, and the nurses. I don't regret it on bit!

Unfortunately, due the the meconium, Mark was not able to help with the delivery as the doctor had hoped. He needed suctioning before taking his first breath so he wouldn't inhale the meconium into his lungs.

My nurses and my doctor did a great job of keeping me calm, even though they had to tell me several times to stop watching the monitors and "just be the patient."

I pushed a few times and out he came, looking very blue and floppy. I don't think he was breathing. He looked so bad, I forgot to look right away to see what gender he was. The doctor held him upside down by his ankles so he wouldn't swallow. Mark quickly cut the cord and the doctor carried him to the warmer for the NICU nurses. He didn't cry for the longest time. His one minute Apgar was only 3 out of 10 (the lower the score, the worse the baby is). I could see the nurses resuscitating him. I knew exactly what they were doing. It's is amazing how well he responded. His Apgar score at 5 minutes was 9. As you can see in the picture at the top, he is nice and pink!

5 comments:

momchacon said...

We were beginning to think that Luke was a figment of your Father's imagination, Heather!! :)
What a BIG boy! Now wonder you needed an epidural! Congratulations Bennett family!

Emily Marie said...

Hurray! Congratulations! I am glad that everyone is doing well!

Anonymous said...

Heather & Mark,
You have a wonderful family. I'm so proud of how you both take care your kids! You should be very proud of each other, you are good parents!
You have made me a very proud grandfather, Thanks!
love you
Dad

Unknown said...

I can't believe that it's taken me this long to comment! I'm so excited for you! I can't believe how big he is! Both of my kids together are just barely over that! I can't wait to see more pictures BUT.. I understand how nutty having a new baby with other kids around! Dang... who has time for anything?!

Unknown said...

we want more pictures. we want more pictures. we want more pictures. we want more pictures. When you have the time of course! :)

Blog Archive